Dr. Ron Cooper has four poems in the latest issue of “Sleipnir Literary Journal.” Each poem is about a woman/goddess from ancient Greek mythology.
The College Media Association has named Associate Professor of Communications Rob Marino a 2017 Distinguished 2-year Newspaper Adviser.
The national award is presented annually to a CMA member with five or more years’ experience in college student media advising, has distinguished service in a particular area and is an adviser at the time of nomination. Marino will receive the award Thursday, Oct. 26, at 5:30 p.m. in Dallas, Texas, during the 2017 Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Association Fall National College Media Convention.
Marino has served as the faculty adviser of the CF Patriot Press student newspaper for 14 years. During that time, the newspaper has won state and national honors, including two first place finishes in the Florida College System Publications Association annual state conference and three top 10 finishes in CMA and American Collegiate Press Best of Show competitions. More than 40 of his former students have placed in the top three in individual state categories during his tenure.
“The award embodies what I love most about my job – training student journalists the correct way to tell a story,” said Marino. “The award is a tribute to the outstanding group of student editors I’ve had over the years.”
College of Central Florida student-athletes and Brain Bowl team members had an excellent year in the classroom in 2016-2017; 27 were named to the Florida College System Activities Association Academic Team.
To be named to the team, students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3.
Congratulations to the following students:
- Brain Bowl: Levi Cooper, Shawn Jarrard, Cristopher Shelton, Andrew Weatherly
- Baseball: Vincent Addona, Hunter Bowling, Josh Harper, Trent Massaro, Nate Pearson, Fletcher Simmons, Christian Smallwood, Caleb Southey
- Men’s Basketball: Ivan Gandia-Rosa
- Softball: Taylor Cruce, Claudia Jones, Hannah Kelly, Karley Krueg, Destinee Lizzmore, Caeley Nix, Karli Woolington
- Volleyball: Chelsa Chavers, Buse Ene, Licie Leite, Ivona Vojvodic
- Women’s Basketball: Shakarri Mack, Nicola Mathews, Amanda Melosky, Maria Midaglia de Leon